Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Girl Saves Boy, Steph Bowe

Synopsis:
"The first time we met, Jewel Valentine saved my life."
Isn’t it enough having your very own terminal disease, without your mother dying? Or your father dating your Art teacher?
No wonder Sacha Thomas ends up in the lake that Saturday evening…
But the real question is: how does he end up in love with Jewel Valentine?
With the help of quirky teenage prodigies Little Al and True Grisham, Sacha and Jewel have a crazy adventure, with a little lobster emancipation along the way.
But Sacha’s running out of time, and Jewel has secrets of her own.

Have you ever read this short (about 200 pages) but well-written book, beautiful and simple? The kind of book you read in a day but that you think about it later? That's Girl Saves Boy. 
I can't believe the authour wrote it when she was a 17-year-old! I love how it's written, the simple but beautiful way Steph Bowe narrates the story. It's really nice that each chapter is told from the point of view of one of the main characters, Sacha and Jewel, because that helps to know what is going on inside their minds in that specific moment. 
I love the character's names in the book because, I don't know if it's only for me, but they aren't particularly usual names. 
The only thing in the book being a bit... unreal was that almost every main character (Sacha, Jewel, True) have lost someone really close to them that they love... They have all had disgraced lives and that's why they understand each other, which is a bit tragic, don't you think?
But I think the book was awesome. I loved it, and I really think Steph Bowe has real talent for being that young (for an author), which is great. 

No comments:

Post a Comment