Monday, December 2, 2013

The 5th Wave, by Rick Yancey

Synopsis:

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.
Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

I hadn’t heard anything about The 5th Wave until I had it in my hands, nothing besides the fact that there were different narrators during the book. That single fact I knew about made me think that I wouldn’t like the book, because different people talking about what’s going on is quite nice to know what everyone thinks and feels about each other, but it makes me really nervous, it bothers me a bit when reading. The last books I read like that were all by Simone Elkeles, who gives the opportunity to the readers to know what the girl thinks in a chapter and the boy in the next one, always one for each. But with The 5th Wave… I could read more than 100 pages from Cassie’s head and then suddenly I knew what Ben was thinking, but only for less than 10 pages, and then Evan for 20, Cassie for 5 more… It was a complete mess. But it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, and it’s an original way of writing, I have never seen that before.
But the story itself, it was good. Everything that happened was really unexpected. The main character, Cassie, may spend three full pages debating about what to do in a specific situations, and after them, she may act as the completely opposite of what I thought she would do. I liked that, because I dislike books which are too predictable. 
But The 5th Wave was different from all books, not only from Yancey’s writing style, which I really enjoyed reading (besides the narrator thing), but because of the plot, the dystopian topics the book is about, like the apocalypse. It’s not a book that changed my vision of life, but it earned a place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment