Sunday, February 17, 2013

Best writers of all time

I think we should not call an author "the best one ever" just because we've liked their books. That's what happened with Twilight. The books became really popular because of the movies, and everyone was calling Stephenie Meyer "the best writer I've ever read!" with no real reason. Personally, I have nothing against her, but she doesn't write that well, I think it's quite average. 
But I do not consider a writer awesome only because of their writing skills. Their imagination, the implication they put in their novels, has an important role in it. There aren't many authors out there who have an incredible imagination as well as an amazing way to tell the story. In my opinion, I can only make a short list...
- JK Rowling: she is incredibly amazing. Who can forget how wonderful was it reading the Harry Potter books? That's an unforgettable feeling. 
- Cornelia Funke: I just admire her so much... Inkheart and the ones that followed, Inkblood and Inkdeath, were just... There are no words to describe it... 
- Patrick Rothfuss: I love how he writes. I love his imagination. I love all of it. The name of the wind easily became one of the best books I've ever read in the second I ended reading its last page. 
Besides those writers, who have been writing in the last decade, I should also mention JRR Tolkien, the leader of the imagination. Even if the battle scenes in The Lord of the Rings can leave anyone so tired, he has the ability to leave us speechless.
Then there are all those writers who wrote classics everyone must read, just like Dickens, Stendhal, Tolstoi... They are classics. 
So what do you think? Do you agree? Who are your favourite writers?

No comments:

Post a Comment