Monday, January 20, 2014

The Physician movie

Sorry I haven't posted anything lately, but the holidays were my time of the year far from everything, not only school, so now I'm back and I've read some good books in the meantime. Btw, happy New Year to everyone! Hope 2014 is even better than 2013 was. 
It's been two years since I read the book by Noah Gordon and fell in love with it. So that's one of the reasons why I don't remember every single detail about it and can't really say everything I would like to if I remembered... I'm going to start by saying that I liked the movie. It was a great movie, and I could feel like it was me living in the 11th century. The characters were nicely portraited, and I love that. I loved the fact that it made me want to be a doctor all over again, even if it was less than what I felt with the book, obviously. If I end up choosing Medicine to study at university, The Physician will become more than just one of my two favourite books. I just worship it. 
There were huge things missing in the movie, though. Can someone tell me where's Mary??? And who's Rebecca? That was the weirdest thing ever... They replaced the main character's love interest! That's horrible! Mary Cullen was a huge part of Rob, a very important character. And instead of the Christian Scottish red-head, there's a Jewish married woman that's interested in Rob. I hated that. 
Almost just as bad was the Shah's relationship with Rob. In the book, they develop this unique friendship that I loved... In the book, they were the symbol of uniting religions, of friendship and diversity. Playing chess, having interesting conversations... the movie just ruined all that and portraited the Shah as a shallow, selfish person, not meaning to start a real friendship with Rob like he does in the book. That's something I would have loved to see. There are other things missing, just as Barber's death, because that's part of what triggers Rob's trip to Isfahan, and I loved Rob's trips with the Shah in the book. 
Overall, the story was more or less the same. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching the movie. I understand some changes have to be made to make a movie, but I wanted the Shah and Mary as I remembered them. The strangest thing is that I read somewhere that it was Noah Gordon and his daughter who wrote the screenplay for the movie. Then why is Mary missing? She's such a huge character... And all that adultery story they made up for the movie, falling in love with a Jewish married women and all that... not right. At least he kept almost everything in the story, not like Cassie Clare did with City of Bones, even if she didn't write the script. There are other scenes I would have liked to see, and other characters I would've liked to see developed. Ibn Sina was a deeper character in the book, and his relationship with Rob was more... special. I kept feeling like there was something missing everywhere I looked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment