Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi (Shatter Me #1)

Synopsis:

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

I expected so much out of this book!! It was great, I loved it, and I really recommend it if you're looking for something good in the young adult genre. I knew what the trilogy was about before starting Shatter Me, and I knew there was going to be a love triangle, so it was obvious that Adam and Warner were the ones she was going to choose. Don't get me wrong, I like Juliette, but I just think she's sort of stupid some times. She hasn't eaten in ages, and she's sitting in front of the most delicious food in the world and because of her stubborness, she decides to starve herself to death to prove a point to Warner. And then she faints, what a surprise.
I've heard that Warner is one of Juliette's love interests, and I can see how he is interested in her, but with all the awful things he's done in this book, how is Juliette ever going to change her mind about him? Something big has to happen for her to forgive him and then love him? I don't know, but I know I will be a fan of Warner, if the excuse of forgiveness is good. Because I really like his character now (compared to Adam, who's too good to be true. Unbelievable), and I would love him to evolve in a way that's believable, that's what worries me the most.
The idea of the story is great, perfectly original and unique, so I sort of thought that Juliette would be the only one with "special powers"? But no, the ending had to become the new X-men movie... That was weird. And there are so many other things that were so wrong in the book, like the way Juliette has never been able to touch anyone but then her lifetime's crush appears and wow!, she can touch him. Of course. And Warner, her potential second love interest, too? Who can believe that? Just like the way the first three chapters go on in that cell without her saying anything special about Adam, and then he suddenly becomes the guy she's been in love with forever?
But overall, the book was fresh, which I think is the most important thing these days. And that's why I loved it. Can't wait to read more about Juliette, Adam and, more importantly, Warner ('cause I love deep characters the most)!! Read it. For sure. And tell me what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment