Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell

Synopsis: 
Cath and Wren are identical twins and until recently they did everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She would rather bury herself in the fanfiction she writes where there's romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life. 
Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible...

This book is the best thing ever. Most relatable piece of YA literature I've ever read. Definitely one of my favorite things these year. It was just... wow. Cath is... me. Like, I feel so identified with every thing she says. All these quotes..., such as "In new situations, all the trickiest rules are the ones nobody bothers to explain to you. (And the ones you can't Google)." Everything is so true. 
The book was really unique in its way, being the exact life of a 21st century fangirl and every day problems. Family. Friends. School. Love. The Simon Snow thing is just exactly like the Harry Potter one. I guess that was the point though, and everything was so accurate... The characters are great, every one in their way, from Reagan to Wren, Levi to Nick... 
All the details in the book were so accurate... Creating FanFixx.net for fanfiction.net, the Simon Snow series for the Harry Potter one (all the quotes, the newspaper articles about it, the story itself... so perfectly done), everything had been thought. 
Fangirl has provided me some of the best and most realistic and relatable quotes ever. From "How do you not like the Internet? That's like saying 'I don't like things that are convenient. And easy. I don't like having access to all of mankind's recorded discoveries at my fingertips. I don't like light. And knowledge." to "Have you been watching me sleep?" "Yes, Bella. Are you awake?" "No.” (the moment when you know you're a 21st century teenager). I'm gonna use all the quotes from now on. And I can't wait to have more of Rainbow Rowell in my life. I need it. It's addicting and necessary. 
I loved the story. And the characters. And the fact that Cath wrote a gay fanfiction. 
And Levi. Wow. I would definitely fall for him too (besides the fact that the guy I'm in love with in RL is exactly like him in almost all the details... Like, who else speaks of bisons?). Levi was a real guy, as in not too fairytale-like, but not too movie-like or unreal. Not too perfect. His behavior was true, it was real, and that's what I appreciate the most in this book. How there's always an outgoing sister, and there's the fangirl one (who I am). There's always people who disappoint you, people who surprisingly friend you and are there for you, no matter how different you are. People who don't look like they are. People you need to care about. People you need to let them care about you. 
Fangirl is a book about life. Just like I said about Eleanor & Park, so I guess that's what Rainbow Rowell writes about. In its better way. Being a teenager nowadays is something special, something different. And, if like Cath, real life is something happening in your peripherical vision, that's being a fangirl. And you should be proud.  

No comments:

Post a Comment