Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion

Synopsis:
'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.
Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.
This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight...

It took me months to read this book. I had been really looking forward to reading it because I had read so many good things about it, so many blogs said it was one of the best books of the year and all that... So I bought it in April and started it. I abandoned in May, a couple of weeks later, with almost half the book read. That wasn't something I wanted to waste my time on reading. And moved by the feeling of not being able to have a book without finishing it, I read it in November, after months of having it on my bedside table and ignoring it with a second glance. It didn't get much better. 
Don't get me wrong, I do not hate the book. I just think there are many other things which are a lot more interesting than it. I thought it was going to be a real Romeo and Juliet story but with zombies. But that zombie thing made it bad. It was the first thing I've ever read about zombies, and I did not like it. Not much. I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm just not ready to live that again, not yet. The idea Isaac Marion had was great, really different. I love how he makes his characters unique, I really like R. But his relationship with Julie... That's quite weak. The characters are great by themselves, but the relations between them are weak, not good. I particularly enjoyed reading about R being in Perry's memories, even if that made the book quite confusing sometimes. 
Overall, it's not a bad book, it's just something I didn't particularly enjoy. But there are multiple opinions about one topic, maybe you'll love it. Never say no to reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment