Friday, August 2, 2013

Wings Series, Aprilynne Pike

Synopsis (Wings #1):

"Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words. 
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings."
Laurel discovers she is a faerie, sent among humans to protect the gateway to Avalon. Thrust into the midst of a centuries-old battle between faeries and trolls, she's torn between a human and a faerie love, as well as her loyalties to each world. In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

 

This amazing fantasy series consists in four books; Wings, Spells, Illusions and Destined. I could've written a post on each one of them, but I read the first one a couple of years ago and instead of writing three posts about the three books I read this month, I can just write one about all of them. 
Let's start by saying that the books are about faeries. I wasn't sure when I first read Wings whether I would like this or not. But then I thought that we've been reading about vampires, werewolves, witches and wizards, about demigods... Why not faeries? Let's give it a try. 
So I did. And loved it. After reading the four books, I decided that these books deserve to be way more well-known and that Aprilynne Pike's writing and imagination deserves more praise. 
I really enjoyed reading the Wings series, and the only bad thing I can say about it is that some things were too predictable, but that's it. 
I specially love the way Aprilynne writes her characters's dialogues, more than descriptions, even if they were necessary. I love the way she tries to make us in love with both David and Tamani, and how she tries to choose. I didn't expect to cry at any moment, because it didn't seem like the kind of books that make me cry, but the epilogue of Destined was too much for me. I guess I wasn't ready to know how many things can change in a couple of pages. 
I mainly enjoyed the books because reading about faeries was something different, unique, and Aprilynne's writing was, in my opinion, young and fresh. Clearly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment